Fire Crews wishing a safe Diwali to the Hindu, Jain and Sikh communities

Diwali

Carlisle Firefighters are urging communities celebrating the Diwali festival to light up safely. This hugely popular festival which lasts for 5 days starts this year on Tuesday the 13 November.

 

Diwali is more commonly known as the ‘festival of lights’ and often includes the use of candles, tea lights and fireworks and cooking special meals for friends and family members.

 Cumbria Fire & Rescue Service

Craig Drinkald, Station Manager for Carlisle West says; ‘Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service really want everyone to enjoy the celebrations but would ask that some simple safety tips are followed';

Candles, night lights and diva - treat these as you would any other flame.

  • Use only enough ghee for a diva to last your puga. If you do need to leave the diva, candle or nightlight unattended, make sure that it rests securely on a surface which will not melt or burn.
  • At all times, keep the flame at a safe distance from curtains, furniture and decorations. Long hair and clothing (especially saris, chunris/chunis and dupattas) are also very flammable.
  • Keep the flame out of reach of children and animals. Children should be supervised at all times near flames.

Fireworks – treat these with great caution.

  • Only buy fireworks marked with British Safety Standard 7114 and always read the instructions.
  • Although it is now illegal to use fireworks after 11pm, on the night of Diwali this is extended to 1am.
  • Remember it is illegal for anyone under the age of 18 to possess fireworks in a public place.

Cooking – remember, fire starts when your attention stops!

  • Don’t leave a kiraya or other pan unattended when the heat is turned on.
  • Make sure the handle of the pan is not over the edge of the cooker or heat source.
  • When cooking deep-fried food, dry the food before you put it in the hot oil. If the oil starts to smoke, turn off the heat and leave the pan to cool. Never fill the pan more than one-third full of oil.
  • Never allow children to play in the kitchen. Most burns and scald accidents happen in the kitchen.
  • Never place hot pans on unprotected kitchen work tops. Use a hot pad or heat-resistant tray underneath.
  • If there is a fire, never throw water over the pan. Get everyone out of the house and contact the fire and rescue service by dialling 999.

Smoke alarms - working smoke alarms save lives!

  • Fit smoke alarms on each floor level in your home and test them every week. Consider fittinga 10-year alarm, or make sure you change the batteries every year. For advice about smoke alarms contact Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service and request your free home safety check call 08003584777.
  • Make a fire escape plan and make sure the whole family knows how to get out in an emergency.